Nothing fancy today, just really simple advice to boost your performance and make training fun again.
Here we go:
1 – Select 3 lifts per workout, ideally all free weight movements with at last 2 being compound. Spend less time of faff.
2 – Set a rep goal of 25-50 reps per movement.
- If you want more muscle use higher reps and less sets – 4-6 on main lift, 6-8 on the second and 8-12 on the third.
- If you want more strength use less reps and more sets – 1-3 on main lift, 4-6 on second and 6-8 on the third.
3 – Train 3 days per week using a full body training method, unless you can afford the luxury of more, in which cause you a 3 on 1 off rotation in which cause use Pull-Push-Legs – you could do PPL if you wanted to do 3x per week but you’d have to program correctly for maximum effect.
If you can only train 3 days per week and want to use Pull=Push-LegsL
- Pull + Light Pressing lift in-between each set
- Push + Light Pulling lift in-between each set
- Legs + A full body lift such a clean/press, loaded carry etc.
4 – Walk, Jog or Run? None of them, SPRINT!
Aim for 5-10 30-60 second rounds of all out sprinting at the end of a session for maximal VO2 Max benefit, you can also swap this for battle rope work, Strongman style loaded carries, medleys etc, jus make sure it’s an all out effort every round.
5 – Keep workouts between 45-60min. You can workout hard or work long, not both, you may as well go in, work hard and get out, this will give you more time to spend doing other things you enjoy or extra time with your family.
Simple but far from easy. Work hard and you’ll get results.