I am often asked about the best ways to progress and what set/rep schemes to use and because of this I have come up with these simple points to share with you today (they’re nothing new).
– Add weight where possible
– If weight can be added, add reps
– If reps can’t be added, add sets
– If neither weight or reps can be added, decrease rest time
– If rest time can’t go lower, add another day of that movement
– If none of the above can be done, change the exercise variation and start from step one.
It’s essentially that simple. Forgo the complicated loading systems and schemes for as long as possible and simply focus on adding more total volume or increasing work capacity in any way you can, for as long as you can.